This is my all time favorite strawberry dessert. Its really simple to make, looks fairly unassuming, but is hiding a delicious almond-y surprise inside! The first time I made it, The Hubs and I were both blown away at how amazing it was. Not to mention that its from Cooking Light, so its not too terrible for you. I use low fat grahams in addition to the light cream cheese to increase the “lightness”. I’m planning on eating the last piece today as a reward for working out (which I’m going to do as soon as I finish this post, I swear)!
Strawberry Almond Cream Tart recipe from Cooking Light
- 36 honey graham crackers (about 9 sheets)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 teaspoons water
- Cooking spray
- 2/3 cup light cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 cups small fresh strawberries, divided
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare crust, place crackers in a food processor; process until crumbly. Add 2 tablespoons sugar, butter, and water; pulse just until moist. Place mixture in a 9-inch round removable-bottom tart pan coated with cooking spray, pressing into bottom and up sides of pan to 3/4 inch. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare filling, combine cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, and extracts in a medium bowl; stir until smooth. Spread mixture evenly over bottom of tart shell.
- To prepare topping, place 2 cups strawberries in food processor; process until pureed. Combine strawberry puree, 2/3 cup sugar, and cornstarch in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; cook 1 minute. Remove glaze from heat, and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Combine 4 cups strawberries and juice; toss to coat. Arrange berries, bottoms up, in a circular pattern over filling. Spoon half of glaze evenly over berries (reserve remaining glaze for another use). Sprinkle nuts around edge. Cover and chill 3 hours.
- Note: You can use either an 8 x 12-inch rectangular pan or a 9-inch round tart pan. The recipe also works with a 9-inch springform pan and a 10-inch pie plate.
For even more strawberry goodness, be sure to visit our ever growing Seasonal Potluck link party for all kinds of delicious seasonal recipes. If you have one you’d like to share, please do!
Also, just a reminder that there’s only a couple of days left to enter to win a full sized Origins Clean Energy Facial Cleansing Oil! Like my Facebook page or leave a comment on my wall to enter! Winner will be announced June 10th. I really appreciate all your support!!!!!