I grew up in textbook suburbia. Everyone knew everyone, kids could ride their bikes freely in the streets, there was always a pick up kick-the-can game going on in someones yard, and neighbors always exchanged holiday goodies. It was actually quite lovely. One of our closest friends and neighbor, Mary Spencer, would bake us a couple of loaves of zucchini bread every year for Christmas. This became a family favorite, and our traditional breakfast on Christmas Day. I have continued this tradition in California…….until now.
Since starting Seasonal Potluck, and specifically this past July when zucchini was our ingredient of choice, I have realized that zucchini bread for Christmas makes no sense since zucchini is a summer vegetable. I guess Mary Spencer must really love us if she was willing to buy out of season produce at, what I can only assume was, inflated prices. I guess that’s truly the Christmas spirit. Wait, now I’m confusing myself. Zucchini bread for Christmas is OUT! May I introduce our new holiday breakfast bread, Coconut Lemon Loaf. Its delicious, festive, and in tune with seasonal produce. A true Christmas miracle. (Ok, now I’m just hyperbolizing)
Coconut Lemon Loaf recipe from Disney Family Fun
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) sweetened flaked coconut
- Coconut-Lemon Glaze (optional)
- Line a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan with waxed or parchment paper (or grease and flour it), then set it aside. Heat the oven to 350º.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, melted butter, oil, lemon zest, lemon extract, vanilla extract, and milk.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and the buttermilk until evenly blended. Set the bowl aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt. With a wooden spoon, stir about a third of the flour mixture into the sugar mixture, then alternately add half of the remaining egg mixture and half of the flour mixture, stirring after each addition just enough to blend. Stir in the coconut.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spoon. Bake on the center oven rack until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean, about 45 to 50 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and put it on a cooling rack for about 15 minutes, then remove the loaf and place it on the rack to finish cooling. When the loaf is completely cooled, in about two hours, apply the Coconut-Lemon Glaze, if using. Makes 10 servings.
My big meeting I’ve been preparing for all week cancelled on me last night so I’m officially on “Christmas break” (5 day weekend!) If you need me I’ll be doubling up on my workouts today (since I slacked yesterday) and will be cooking all day tomorrow. I’ll check in with you all then to preview what I’m making for Christmas Eve festivities with our friends. Party time!