Breakfast salad? Yes please! When I saw this recipe I thought it was such a cute idea, and seemed like a refreshing and healthy way to get those breakfast flavors.
I’m so happy its spring and there’s starting to be tons of fresh produce to choose from at the markets. I can’t wait until later this summer when I can harvest my own homegrown veggies. My newly planted garden is already growing quickly! Once I see my first sprouts, I’ll be sure to post some photos here. In the meantime, give this fun salad a try. I think you’ll love it as much as I did!
Bacon, Egg, and Toast Salad with OJ Dressing recipe from Sunset
- 1/2 English cucumber
- 2 cups slivered orange or red bell peppers
- 2 cups quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup slivered red onion, rinsed and patted dry
- About 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 slices Canadian bacon
- 4 large eggs
- 7 ounces multigrain bread, sliced 3/4 in. thick, toasted
- Quarter cucumber lengthwise, then slice 1/2 in. thick. Toss cucumber, peppers, tomatoes, and onion in a large bowl; set aside.
- Whisk together 1/4 tsp. salt, the orange zest, orange juice, lemon juice, and oil in a small bowl. Set dressing aside.
- Brown bacon in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat until golden, turning once, 4 minutes. Cut into 1/4-in. strips.
- Put eggs in a small saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Turn off heat, cover pan, and let sit 3 minutes for soft-cooked. (**I made my eggs hard boiled) Crack eggs all over on counter, transfer to a bowl of ice water, and let cool 2 to 3 minutes. Peel and halve lengthwise.
- Meanwhile, tear bread into 1/2- to 1-in. pieces. Add to vegetables along with bacon and dressing, and toss until evenly coated.
- Divide salad among 4 shallow bowls and top each with 2 egg halves. Season to taste with pepper and more salt.