Well, another successful 4th of July is in the history books. The day didn’t go EXACTLY as planned since the sun never showed itself , not even for a second. So instead of bikinis and sunscreen, we wore hoodies and long pants, and it was fine. There was still lots of good company and great food. You can’t beat an extra day off of work, and a sparkly fireworks show.
Please enjoy a few snaps from our party as well as my contribution to our buffet. I wanted to try to slip in some veggies to our mostly meat buffet. The Hubs and his friends smoked 4 tri-tips! That’s pretty typical of our backyard BBQ’s.
Grilled Meatball, Cheese and Squash Skewers recipe adapted from Sunset Magazine
- zest from one lemon
- 1 T. fresh chopped oregano
- 1 T. fresh chopped time
- 1 t salt
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 package jalapeno grilling cheese cut into chunks
- 1/2 pound mixed squash, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Soak 12 (10-in.) bamboo skewers in water about 30 minutes. Heat grill to medium (about 350°).
- Combine lemon zest, oregano, thyme, and salt with turkey in a bowl and shape into small meatballs. Heat oil in a skillet and brown the meatballs until they are slightly golden on the outside. Cool slightly. Brush cheese and squash with oil. Thread meatballs, cheese, and squash onto skewers, alternating ingredients.
- Grill, turning once, until meatballs are cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes total.
I hope you all had a great holiday as well! I know it was super hot in other parts of the country. One of my favorite things is seeing all the parade pics from my friends who have kids. Remember how exciting the 4th of July parade was at that age? I also always loved sparklers, poppers, smoke bombs and black snakes. I think my brothers and I were kind of pyros in our youth. What kind of 4th festivities are part of your family traditions?