I’m kind of addicted to arugula, and this arugula salad is exactly what I’ve been craving lately. Over the last 6 months or so, I’ve tried to focus on getting proper nutrition, and maximizing the benefits of the calories I consume, as opposed to just counting calories and cutting out sweets and processed foods. The results have been amazing to me. My energy levels are stabilized throughout the day, and workouts don’t seem as difficult because my body is properly fueled. In fact, I have more mental focus and stamina as well.
Recently, my friends at Melissa’s Produce gave me a copy of their newest book titled, “50 Best Plants on the Planet”. Its a wonderful cookbook that highlights the world’s most nutrient dense plants. It just so happens that my peppery little friend arugula is one of these wildly nutritional foods. Arugula only has 7 tiny calories per ounce, yet is packed with cancer fighting vitamin K, as well as an abundance of vitamins A and C that have super antioxidant properties. Plus, it tastes so much better than regular lettuce in a salad.
If you add in fiber rich beans and omega-3 packed tuna, you’ve got super salad perfection. This arugula salad is the IDEAL workday lunch. It is guaranteed to keep you full and focused, and even help power you through an evening workout.
Arugula Salad with Tuna and White Beans recipe adapted from Cooking Light
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard **I used habanero dijon for an extra kick!
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
- 2 (6-ounce) cans tuna packed in olive oil, drained and broken into chunks
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (5-ounce) package fresh baby arugula
Whisk together first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Add tomatoes and next 4 ingredients (through arugula); toss.