White chocolate and lemon might sound like a strange combination to you, but believe me, it works. I made some white chocolate and orange truffles during our cookiepocalypse last Christmas and Jen said, “I don’t think I like citrus and chocolate together.” I gave her a few to take home, and I got a text later that said, “I was wrong. These are the best things ever!” See, if you try new things, you just might like them.
I made this white chocolate and lemon version for Jen’s “baby party” before Carson was born. It was pretty much just a boozy brunch with games and wine prizes. Now THAT’S the kind of shower I can get behind!
The great part about truffles is that the combinations are pretty limitless. I saw someone posted on twitter the other day about dark chocolate and coconut ones. (sounds delish!) Once you know the basic recipe (which is super simple) you can make all different kinds. Heck, forget valentines candy next year. Just make your own!
- ¼ cup butter
- Zest of 1 Meyer lemon
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 cup quality white chocolate, finely chopped
- ½ tsp lemon extract
- ¼ cup powdered sugar or sparkling sugar for coating
- Pour white chocolate into a mixing bowl, set aside.
- Melt butter along with lemon zest in a small saucepan. Stir in cream and scald mixture. (Aka. Heat until bubbles begin to form around the edges but is not yet boiling)
- Pour hot cream mixture over white chocolate.
- Add extract then stir until smooth.
- Cover mixture and refrigerate 2 hours or until firm enough to handle.
- Scoop mixture out by heaping teaspoon fulls and form into balls then roll in powdered sugar or sparkling sugar.
- Freeze truffles 20 minutes or refrigerate for one hour then enjoy.
- Store truffles in refrigerator.
If you’re looking for some more truffle inspiration, check out these awesome recipes
Tropical Truffles from Butterbur’s Bistro
Vegan Chocolate Truffles from Recipe Renovator
Nutella Chocolate Truffles from Steamy Kitchen
Peanut Butter Coconut Truffles from Love your Body 101
Salted Caramel Whisky Truffles from Bakers Royale