I’m finally facing real life after being on the go for so long. It’s a strange place to be in. What I’ve seen and absorbed the past few weeks, has done quite a number on my perspective, and now that I’m back to where I started, I’m not exactly sure how to proceed.
I feel almost paralyzed from an overwhelming amount of inspiration, coupled with a huge pile of things that don’t really seem to matter to me anymore. Where do I start? Can I tackle both at once? Will I have the strength to purge that which no longer serves me even though it seemed essential on weeks ago? How long will this inspiration last?
The real problem lies in the fact that there is no real answer to any of these questions.
Here is what I know for sure. Summer is almost here, and summer is notoriously my happiest time of the year. The days are long, and the light is good. There’s tons of fresh food available that inspires me daily. My relationship with The Hubs has never been better. Lastly, despite the daunting nature of the unknown tasks ahead of me, I do not feel scared.
Not a bad jumping off point if you ask me.
I’m fortunate that I possess the self confidence to know that although my path may be changing, my journey will be one of learning, and challenges, and I’ll surely end up where I’m meant to. I’ve changed course dozens of times in my life, and I’ve never once regretted it. With age comes wisdom from past mistakes, so I can only hope that those lessons guide me to my next point without too much turmoil.
More than anything, I feel excitement. The whole message of this blog is to go out and do what it is you love with your life and not to give stock to anything that tries to steal your joy. Sometimes life can bog you down, and you don’t realize your joy is slipping away until you step back and take a real good look. I got to do that, and now I’m excited to dive back in despite my uncertainty.
Uncertain times call for a bit of an anchor. Something solid and reliable you can count on. For me, that’s a skillet meal. Whatever you have on hand thrown into a skillet, and topped with an egg. It’s never let me down once. This skillet features some fresh summer vegetables as a symbol of what’s to come.
I have a feeling this is going to be my best summer yet.
- ½ leek, thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 small yellow squash, diced
- 6 asparagus spears, chopped
- 6 oz chicken sausage, cooked and diced.
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh chives, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Eggs for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat the sweet potato in olive oil and roast for 15 minutes until it begins to soften. Remove from oven.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add leek and cook for 3 minutes, stirring until it begins to soften. Add zucchini, yellow squash, asparagus and sweet potato to make an even layer. Cook for 5 minutes, stir, cook for 5 more minutes or until veggies begin to char.
- Stir in sausage and herbs. Cook until sausage is heated through. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with an egg, any style.