Do you smell that? That smoky flavor in the air? It’s BBQ season!
I love grilling season mainly because The Hubs does a lot of the work. As much as I love to cook, I like to be served as well. Meat is The Hubs domain, and he’s quite the skillful BBQ-er.
I got him a smoker for Christmas 2 years ago and it has really upped his BBQ game. Tri-Tips, briskets, salmon, and even a couple Thanksgiving turkeys have seen the inside of that smoker. It’s a great way to make a perfectly cooked piece of meat.
The two of us have a system. I buy the meat, and prepare it. He prepares the smoker, gets up early to put the meat in, monitors it the whole day, and carves it up when its ready. I provide sauces and sides, and our friends happily eat it all up. It’s a pretty great partnership.
I love to make my own BBQ sauce and recently I made one that had everyone ooh-ing and ahh-ing. It’s actually a very simple recipe, and super easy to customize based on whatever you have on hand. All you need is something sweet, something spicy, something smoky, and something tangy. I generally prefer a tomato based sauce, although my friend Stefan makes a mean Carolina style, vinegar based sauce that I love.
I guess it all depends on the meat. I slathered this sauce on some smoked brisket sandwiches, and it was a match made in heaven.
What kind of BBQ sauce to you love the most?
With the 4th of July coming up, I bet a lot of you are planning on hosting your own BBQ’s. Don’t worry, my #12blogger friends and I have got you covered! From drinks to desserts, we’ve compiled a list of 12 4th of July favorites to meet all of your BBQ needs. Be sure to click around and see what everyone else is bringing to the party.
- Sparkling Raspberry Lemonade from Mom Endeavors
- Homemade BBQ Sauce from BetsyLife
- Apricot Crumble In A Jar from The Rebel Chick
- 4th Of July Marshmallow Pinwheels from Home Cooking Memories
- Grilled Corn With Honey Mustard Butter from A Little Claireification
- Grilled Pineapple & Watermelon Fruit Kabobs from A Night Owl Blog
- Strawberry Rhubarb Lemonade from Bless This Mess Please
- Veggie BBQ Sliders with Slaw from Million Moments
- Deep Dish Crumb Topped Apple Pie from Eat Your Heart Out
- Mac & Cheese Cups from See Vanessa Craft
- Popsicle Rockets from Around My Family Table
- Caesar Burgers from Plugged In Family