Maybe I’ve mentioned this before, but I’m a V.I.P at my local grocery store. I get special deals and have the store manager’s direct phone number. If I want an item they don’t carry, they’ll get it for me. It’s pretty awesome. I mention this not to brag, but to put this post into context. I’m a professional grocery shopper. I’ve been known to answer before an employee when someone asks where to find something. Marshmallow fluff? Aisle 7, top shelf on the right hand side. I’m the fastest draw in the west at the self checkout line, and I feel as though its time for people to get a little lesson in using self checkout.
I know by the look on that guy’s face in line who’s just trying to buy a jug of laundry detergent that I’m not the only one who gets super irritated with people who do not use the self checkout line efficiently. So for all you people who are waiting in line with me and rolling your eyes, this one’s for you.
1. If you have never used self checkout before, for the love of God, start with something that has a barcode on it. Don’t make your first trip to self checkout a drawn out process of scrolling through produce item names and attempting to use the scale.
2. If you have more items than what fits in a hand held basket, don’t use self checkout. Leave the cartfuls to the professionals. You, and everyone behind you will get out much faster.
3. Never use self checkout if you have coupons. I repeat, NEVER.
4. Only buy alcohol at self checkout if its the only thing you’re purchasing, or if you are an experienced self checkout user.
5. Once you put an item in the bagging area, you cannot remove it or the system will know. Either select “skip bagging” after each item, or just leave it in the bagging area until you’re done! If you have so many bags in the bagging area that you have to move something in order to continue with your purchase, then you have too much stuff and you shouldn’t be in the self checkout line anyway………and everyone behind you in line hates you.
Everyone should think of self checkout like the 15 item or less line. Express only. If you are unsure of how long self checkout will take, just skip it and go to the regular checkout. If you think you might want to get into the self checkout game for the first time, look to see if there is a line. If there is, skip it. Wait for another time when you’re not holding other people up.
This has been a message from your friendly neighborhood blogger.