Hot beer cheese slathered on a juicy burger is exactly the way to indulge at dinner time.
With the weekend fast approaching, I’ve got junk food on the brain. So what if I’m one of those people who eats salad 5 days a week then binges on french fries and beer on the weekends? That’s still considered moderation right?
For this edition of Betsy’s-stuff-your-face weekend recipe, I decided to mix the booze into the food. I present to you, beer cheese burgers! Served on pretzel buns and topped with fried stuff, naturally.
There’s a restaurant in town that makes beer cheese everything which inspired this recipe. Since I had both beer and cheese in the fridge, I decided to make some myself. It’s actually pretty simple to make, and you can use the leftover beer cheese to dip your fries in.
Don’t forget to wash it all down with more beer and chocolate frozen yogurt topped with crushed Heath bar!
Yes, I did that, and no, I don’t feel guilty.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ bottle beer (I used Sam Adams Summer Ale)
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup milk
- oil for frying
- pretzel buns
- hamburger patties, grilled
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour until a smooth paste forms. Pour in beer, whisking constantly. Add cheese, a little at a time, whisking until a smooth sauce forms.
- Remove from heat and stir in mustard and hot sauce.
- I used only enough oil to cover the bottom of a small skillet. Heat oil over medium high heat.
- Whisk together egg and milk in a small bowl. In another small bowl, whisk together flour, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Working in small batches, dip onion slices into egg mixture, then coat in flour mixture. Shake off excess then place in oil and fry, turning once, until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Drain on a paper towel and repeat with remaining onion slices.
- Place burger patty on pretzel bun. Top with beer cheese and crispy onions. Enjoy!