Hello friends! Did you have a chance to check out the new Seasonal Potluck yet? Even though we’re still working on it, I’m super excited for the potential of where it’s going!
Sticking with the oranges spirit, I opted to make this strange sounding soup. Mixing oranges and cucumbers into a black bean soup actually works perfectly for us this time of year. The weather is warm, but just barely, and sunny, yet chilly in the evenings. The soup is warm in temperature, a little spicy, yet cool and refreshing when you get to the salsa part. I’m kind of obsessed with it right now.
Black Bean Soup with Avocado, Orange and Cucumber recipe from Sunset Magazine
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) black beans, rinsed **I only had one can of black beans so I used one can of white beans too
- 2 jars (4 oz. each) pimientos, drained**I used a 14oz can of diced tomatoes instead
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, such as Tapatío
- 1 avocado, cubed
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 orange, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber, chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add broth, beans, pimientos, seasonings, and hot sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Mix avocado, lime juice, orange, and cucumber in a medium bowl. Divide soup among bowls; top with avocado mixture and a sprinkle of cheese.