This summer should be an interesting one. In a lot of ways, I feel like my entire life has been turned upside down with the news that my best friend, and most relied on person on earth, is moving away from me for the first time in nearly 20 years. On the other hand, it’s me that still gets to be by the ocean, within walking distance of everything, and continue to live the dreamy beach life we began together. Maybe it’s her I should be feeling sorry for. Not me.
This isn’t the first time I’ve had to step back from a friendship and say, “It’s not my life,”
but that doesn’t make it any easier to let go.
As a scorpio, the very few relationships I do allow myself to fully participate in are sacred, and I give all of myself to them. It’s devastating when you realize that they’re not what you built them up to be in your mind.
Despite my heartbreak, I know all too well that you can’t change people, you can only change your perspective, so this summer I’ll continue to sweep the pool deck every weekend, wash all the beach towels, cook up BBQ food like this awesome blue cheese and bacon potato salad, keep the fridge stocked, and hope that my sunny weekends will be filled with new friends, new laughter, and new memories.
Now accepting applications……..
- 3lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- ½ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup minced onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard (I used jalapeño dijon for extra spice)
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- Boil potatoes until fork tender. Drain and allow to cool
- In a large bowl whisk together greek yogurt, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, onion, chives, dijon, honey and lemon zest.
- Add potatoes and toss to coat.
- Fold in bacon and blue cheese. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Garnish with additional chives and serve.