When I sit down to write a blog post, I often have something in mind that I want to write about, but if I don’t, I ask myself, “what’s going on with you right now?”
Well here’s where my brain is at this moment……………………..
Yup, that’s right. Totally checked out. Or possibly a bit scrambled. Most likely a combination of the two.
I imposed this “summer break” on myself, which has been awesome, but now its winding down with a vacation I’m leaving for in a few days, and I’m having mixed feelings.
On one hand, I have the pre-vacation stress going on. On the other hand I have a slow-down-and-enjoy-your-last-few-weeks-of-freedom feeling contradicting all that mental chaos. On top of it all is the pressure to get back to work in a serious way once I return, coupled with many lofty ideas and goals.
I’m a mess. A brain scrambled mess.
Whenever I’m feeling overwhelmed by the crazy, I have to step back and let it all out creatively….usually through food. This time through two of my favorite foods, potatoes and eggs.
Because nothing cures a stressful day like some carbs am I right?
My mantra for my last two weeks of my summer break is this,
“Life is good. Food is good. Brunch is good. Soak it in.”
I can almost guarantee you that if you’re ever having a stressful day, these breakfast potato skins will help. Even better, make a big batch and eat them for a few days to keep the chaos at bay. They’re straightforward, easy to prepare, super comforting, and a complete meal all in one little package.
Confucius said, “Life is actually really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.”
I’m going to keep that in mind and try to release my feelings of anxiety in order to enjoy the rest of my time off.
- 2 large baked potatoes, fully cooked and cooled
- 4 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 large eggs
- salt and pepper
- Avocado, basil, hot sauce, salsa or other desired toppings
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Slice each potato in half and scoop out the insides leaving a thin layer all the way around. Reserve potato for another use.
- Place skins on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Fill the bottom of each skin with crumbled bacon. Divide shredded cheese among each skin.
- Carefully crack an egg into each skin. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 12-18 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Remove and top with your favorite toppings.