An easy chicken casserole recipe that is ready fast and great for any night of the week.
My Hubs actually said the words, “this is the best thing you have ever made” when I served him this chicken tamale casserole. The compliment is even sweeter because this was also one of the easiest recipes I have ever made. Don’t you love it when that happens?
I’m sure, like me, many of you are still feeling the post-Thanksgiving bloat. Luckily, this recipe is actually healthy! I am personally on a month long mission to detox before my Christmas binge rolls around. I love holiday food traditions, but this up and down eating I’ve been doing is really taking its toll on my energy levels. No more baking and taste testing cookies first thing in the morning for me! That is, at least until Christmas. We’re all entitled to our splurge days right?
On that note, let’s get back to the “best thing I’ve ever made” recipe. This is just spicy enough to keep you warm on a cold night, and super satisfying to keep you moving all day long.
Chicken Tamale Casserole recipe from Cooking Light
- 1 cup (4 ounces) preshredded 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (8.5-ounce) box corn muffin mix
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained **I used fresh, chopped serrano peppers
- Cooking spray
- 1 (10-ounce) can red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine 1/4 cup cheese and next 7 ingredients (through chiles) in a large bowl, stirring just until moist. Pour mixture into a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until set. Pierce entire surface liberally with a fork; pour enchilada sauce over top. Top with chicken; sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 8 pieces; top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream.
More easy chicken recipes