A friend asked me recently how I keep it all together while constantly juggling a million different endeavors. It’s true that I run several businesses, travel frequently, am essentially solely responsible for raising and training an energetic puppy, try to stay involved in my community, am a proud aunt to 11 nieces and nephews, and still manage to work out regularly and get dinner on the table every night, but I still don’t know if I have it all together.
Here’s my “secret”. I try to focus only on what’s right in front of me. I have no problem taking smart shortcuts. I am easily accepting of criticism and failure because I always try my best. I’m flexible. I ask for help. I keep my expectations in check.
Sometimes this doesn’t work out. Sometimes everything gets away from me and I completely melt down, but I always get back up.
Just. Keep. Going.
That’s it! Not really much of a secret, huh?
Today I’m here to offer a little help in the dinner department. Sandwiches are a good way to get dinner on the table with very little effort.
I didn’t have time to fry my own chicken, and I certainly didn’t have time to clean up after chicken frying to make these awesome chicken and waffle grilled cheese sandwiches, so I opted for store bought, and I don’t feel bad about it. They were amazing. Besides, I totally suck at frying chicken.
If you find yourself stressing out about getting dinner on the table, just slap pretty much anything between 2 slices of bread and melt some cheese on it. Dinner is served. Take the time you saved worrying about dinner, and focus your energy on something more worthwhile.
Here’s 12 cheesy ideas to get you started.
- Roast Beef Grilled Cheese by Big Bear’s Wife
- Chicken and Waffle Grilled cheese by Betsy Life
- Spicy Sausage and Mango Grilled cheese by Home Cooking Memories
- Hot Jelly Pepper Brie Sandwich by Cooking on the Front Burners
- Hawaiian Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Love Bakes Good Cakes
- Mexican Grilled Cheese Sandwich by A Million Moments
- Grilled Cheese Alla Vodka by Bread Booze Bacon
- Breakfast Grilled Cheese Sandwich by A Night Owl
- Italian Grilled Cheese with Marinara Dipping Sauce by Pink Cake Plate
- Cowhorn Pepper Grilled Cheese by I Love My Disorganized Life
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese by See Vanessa Craft
- Grilled Strawberry and Goat Cheese Sandwich by Around My Family Table
- For the waffles
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups warm milk
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- For the sandwich
- 2 pre-cooked crispy chicken strips, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup arugula
- ½ cup fontina cheese
- To make the waffles
- Preheat waffle iron
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk, butter, and eggs.
- Stir wet ingredients into flour mixture until fully combined.
- Spoon batter into waffle iron and cook until done (mine has an indicator light that says when the waffle is ready). Repeat with remaining batter.
- To make the sandwich
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Butter the outside of two waffle halves.
- Place one half, butter side down in the hot skillet. Top with ½ of the cheese, chicken, arugula and remaining cheese. Top with other waffle half.
- Place grill press on top of the sandwich to ensure even cooking. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until waffle becomes crispy and cheese melts. Flip halfway through.