Coming up with a shrimp recipe is easy. I love shrimp, and can think of a million ways I’d love to eat it. Narrowing it down to one, was the hard part. The deciding factor to me ended up being a gorgeous box of Ojai Pixie tangerines I got from Melissa’s Produce. These juicy beauties are just about the most delicious fruit around. When they arrived I first thought, “Margaritas!” which then led to thoughts of a total Mexican feast. Typical.
Shrimp paired with citrus and chilies is pretty much a staple here in San Diego, and when served with tangerine margaritas, Its impossible not to get into the summertime spirit.
Oxo made this whole project a cinch with some awesomely handy tools. Their shrimp cleaner is a stroke of pure genius! I wish I had discovered this tool years ago because cleaning shrimp is the absolute pits. It shells AND deveins shrimp in one fell swoop. I’m in love.
Gorgeous (and healthy!) shrimp from the NFI shrimp council, beautiful local produce, and some seriously helpful kitchen tools, made for one enjoyable day in the kitchen for this gal (and one happy dinnertime for her Hubs).
You’re not going to believe this but it gets even better. Now you can win all the awesome, shrimp friendly, Oxo tools you’ll need to make your own shrimp-tastic meal. Leave a comment telling me how you like to eat your shrimp, and use the widget below to enter to win
- Shrimp Cleaner
- Flexible Kitchen & Herb Snips
- Silicone Steamer
- Wooden Lemon Reamer
- 3 Piece Bowl and Colander Set
- 12″ Tongs with Silicone Heads
- $100 Visa Gift Card from the NFI Shrimp Council
Not a bad prize if I do say so myself. Good luck and happy shrimping!
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup tangerine juice
- 1 teaspoon tangerine zest
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro for garnish
- ½ cup avocado, smashed
- ½ cup sour cream
- zest and juice of 1 tangerine
- 1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- flour tortillas
- shredded cabbage
- diced avocado
- cilantro for garnish
- Stir together avocado cream ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. Refrigerate.
- Whisk together 4 cloves minced garlic, chili powder, red pepper flakes, tangerine juice, tangerine zest, soy sauce, brown sugar in a medium bowl. Add shrimp and marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add shrimp to pan, and cook, turning once until shrimp is pink and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat tortillas one at a time in a dry skillet. Cook until crispy on both sides.
- Spread crispy tortilla with a generous layer of avocado cream. Top with shredded cabbage, diced avocado and shrimp. Garnish with cilantro.
- 1 lime wedge
- Fine salt
- 2 ounces Casa Noble tequila
- 2 ounces fresh lime juice
- 2 ounces fresh tangerine juice
- ⅔ ounces Triple Sec liqueur
- Rub the rim of the glass with a wedge of lime and dip the rim into a saucer of fine salt. Place the tequila, lime juice, tangerine juice, triple sec liqueur into a shaker. Shake to mix and strain into a glass of ice. Garnish with a wedge of tangerine on the rim of the glass.
If you want to see what the other Shrimp Showdown participants made, check out their blogs below.
A Kitchen Addiction
A Zesty Bite
Coconut and Lime
Created by Diane
Foxes Love Lemons
Garnish with Lemon
Growing up Gabel
Home Cooking Memories
Jeanette’s Healthy Living
Julie’s Eats and Treats
Lemons for Lulu
My Man’s Belly
Peanut Butter and Peppers
Peas and Crayons
Sarah’s Cucina Bella
So How’s It Taste?
Taste Love and Nourish
That Skinny Chick Can Bake