My crock pot adventures continue with super moist carrot cake recipe. Baking in a crock pot?!? Yup, that’s right people. I did it. I realize that it may seem a little silly to bake a cake over a 4 hour timespan when I could just turn the oven on and bake one in 40 minutes, but I swear its not a ridiculous as it seems.
Hear me out.
With major cooking holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up, oven real estate is at a minimum. As someone who hosts these events, I know how much planning it takes to make sure everything makes it into the oven at the right temperature for the right amount of time. Its kind of a logistical nightmare. Think of crock pot baking as one less thing you have to add to your oven agenda.
Secondly, I know its winter time now, but in the dead of summer sometimes you just want some cake. You don’t want to turn on the oven to just make dinner when the temperatures are sweltering, so you definitely wouldn’t turn it on to bake a carrot cake. With crock pot baking you can have your cake and eat it too….without excess sweating.
I’m not going to stop this crock pot adventure with just carrot cake. I’m already planning to test out this baking method with other types of desserts. Maybe I’ll even try to bake some bread.
It’s almost more like steaming. You make a little rack on the bottom of a crock pot out of foil, fill it up with a couple of inches of water, then cover and bake! This was by FAR the moistest carrot cake I’ve ever made, and I did not add additional oil to the batter, so I guess that means baking in a crock pot is HEALTHIER right?
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour (about 3⅓ ounces)
- ¼ cup quick-cooking oats
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 (2½-ounce) jar carrot baby food
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1¼ cups finely grated carrot (about 4 ounces)
- ⅓ cup (3 ounces) ⅓-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1¼ cups powdered sugar, sifted
- ¼ teaspoon coconut extract
- ¼ cup flaked sweetened coconut, toasted
- Roll a large sheet of foil into a 1 inch tube. Bend the tube into an oval shape and place in the bottom of an 8 quart crock pot to create a "rack". Fill the crock pot with 2 inches of water.
- To prepare cake, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a food processor; pulse 6 times or until well blended. Place flour mixture in a large bowl. Combine granulated sugar, canola oil, baby food, and eggs; stir with a whisk. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moist. Stir in grated carrots. Spoon batter into an 6-inch round baking pan coated with cooking spray. Tap the pan on the counter a few times to remove air bubbles.
- Place the cake pan on top of the foil "rack" inside the crock pot. Cover and cook for 3-4 hours on high or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool before frosting.
- To prepare frosting, combine cheese and butter in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at high speed until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar and coconut extract, beating at low speed until smooth (do not overbeat). Spread over cake; sprinkle with coconut. Cover and chill.
Cake recipe from Cooking Light