Oh boy. I am sick. Runny nose, sore throat, sinus pressure, lots of sneezing…….yuck. I’m trying to get some rest, unfortunately, my work schedule is not really allowing that. After a long day of nose blowing and number crunching, I just plain do not have the energy to cook up a fun dinner. Thank god for sandwiches! These eggplant and goat cheese sandwiches take practically no time to make and pack a TON of flavor! I’m looking forward to the sun going down (it is still so hot!) climbing into some sweats, drinking a little hot tea, and getting into bed early! Here’s hoping that I’m feeling better tomorrow, and that I get my creative mojo back!
Eggplant and Goat Cheese Sandwiches recipe from Cooking Light
- 8 (1/2-inch-thick) eggplant slices
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 4 (1-ounce) slices ciabatta bread
- 2 tablespoons refrigerated pesto
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) soft goat cheese
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. Brush both sides of eggplant with 1 teaspoon oil. Cut bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membrane. Arrange bell pepper halves, skin sides up, on baking sheet with eggplant; flatten with hand. Broil 4 minutes; turn eggplant over (do not turn bell pepper over). Broil an additional 4 minutes; remove eggplant from pan. Broil bell pepper an additional 7 minutes or until blackened. Place bell pepper in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand for 15 minutes; peel and discard skin.
3. Broil bread slices for 2 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once. Spread 1 tablespoon pesto on each of 2 bread slices. Layer each bread slice, pesto side up, with 2 eggplant slices, 1 bell pepper half, and 2 eggplant slices. Toss arugula with remaining 1 teaspoon oil and black pepper; divide arugula mixture evenly between sandwiches. Spread 2 tablespoons goat cheese over each of 2 remaining bread slices; place, cheese side down, on sandwiches.