Every Friday morning, I sit at my dining room table with my coffee in a mug with some kind of dog on it, stare out the window watching the world wake up, and really, truly contemplate the things that are Great in my life. This week, that contemplation period was fast and furious because its been a week filled with smiles. Trust me, some weeks I sit here with a totally blank mind for hours, but as you all know by now if you’ve ever tuned into The Great List, if you look long and hard enough, there is always something to be grateful for.
1. One of the main highlights of my week was seeing my friend Krista majorly video bomb Jennifer Hudson on the Oscars red carpet. I was watching with my in-laws in Alabama, and not paying too close attention to the TV. I was telling my sister in law and niece about how Krista was going to the show and was describing the dress that she chose. I showed them a picture from facebook and my niece yelled “I saw her!!!” She grabbed the remote and rewound to the Ryan Seacrest/Jennifer Hudson interview where Krista’s epic neck stretch gave her a good 30 seconds of screen time. I have been laughing ever since. Krista, you are my hero. Way to maximize your efforts my friend. Next year maybe you can bomb Bradley Cooper….its the next best thing to ACTUALLY dating him.
2. I took my beloved old car, Senty in to get repaired/Smog tested this week. My check engine light went on about a month ago, and The Hubs determined it was a problem with the emissions system. Turns out I need a new catalytic converter which would cost over $1000. Seeing as my entire car isn’t even worth $1000 this was not good news. This repair isn’t even necessary unless you have to pass a smog test, so I was feeling crappy about the whole situation. Thankfully, the wonderful people at the repair shop suggested that I drive the car, get it nice and hot, and see if I could pass the smog anyway. Sure enough, it worked! Yes, I realize that I will probably have to say goodbye to my longtime friend Senty before my next smog check (2 years from now), but at least I don’t have to either A. pay over $1000 or B. feel like the new tires and brakes I got 2 months ago were a waste since I have to get a new car. Yay for honest mechanics!!! I love when my faith in humanity is restored
3. While we were out of town last weekend Olive learned to get into the pool on her own accord. We’ve thrown her in many times, but now she’ll step down onto the top step, and splash with her paws all by herself. I think this summer when we’re all swimming, she’ll definitely get all the way in. Baby steps!
4. I had a flood of blog/business ideas this week. As an artist, I am very familiar with periods of creative feast and famine. I filled up many pages of my Oprah journal this week with content ideas that will be coming to a blog near you soon. Its so important to remember ideas when they come to you otherwise, during those times of creative darkness, you’ll feel completely lost.
5. This time of year makes me so thankful to be a San Diegan. Seeing all the snow pictures on facebook makes me cringe. I am eternally grateful for the beautiful sunny weather we’ve been having here lately.
Enjoy your Friday everyone. Heck, enjoy your whole weekend. Take a moment to think about the Great things in your life.
“We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.” – Thornton Wilder