I’m happy to be spending this Friday in Chicago with my friends and family. Generally I only get back once per year, and this visit we’ve had a lot of fun. In fact, this whole week has been pretty Great.
1. I’ve always been kind of obsessed with twins and its even cooler that we now have twins in our family! My nieces turn one in a couple of days, and I’m overjoyed to see what sweet, curious girls they’ve grown into in the last year. I spent the day with them on Wednesday and getting to know their budding personalities has been so Great! They are very happy, very smiley girls.
2. I cannot forget big brother Luke! Being an aunt is one of the greatest joys of my life. I’ve got 10 nieces and nephews (and counting!) and I’ve learned that kids just get better with age. The twin’s big brother Luke had kind of a rocky adjustment with their birth since he had all the attention for five whole years. He’s getting the hang of it now, but I always make sure that Luke and I go on our own special “date” without his sisters whenever I see him. This year, Luke and I were both so happy that The Hubs was here to tag along. The 3 of us laughed our way through miniature golf, Chuck E Cheese, and a stop at the ice cream parlor. He tried to hit us up for a $60 Lego set too…smart kid….he just might get a surprise in the mail soon.
3. Speaking of The Hubs, he has been in Chicago since last weekend for a trade show that ended on Wednesday. Even though he has still been handling a few work responsibilities, its nice that he’s here to spend time with me, the kids, the rest of my family, and my friends away from his work. Its a rare occurrence that we get to spend so much time in a single week together, so I try to savor every moment.
4. My camera came back from being cleaned and repaired JUST in time for me to bring it on my trip! I seriously felt like I was missing a limb while it was gone.
5. I had an awesome time chatting with my fellow San Diego food bloggers at the bake sale last weekend. Even though its awesome how much money we raised for No Kid Hungry, my favorite part was getting to know people in person who’s words I’ve been reading online. I love blogging!
6. It makes me kind of sad that I only get to see my best friend from childhood, Katy, one day out of the year, but we made that one day count! I love watching her parent her almost four year-old son, Cole. Watching her, I think, “that is exactly how I would be if I had a kid” I think there are a lot of right ways to parent, but the way Katy talked to Cole just seemed so natural and familiar to me. I love seeing Cole too and hearing him talk. Its one thing to see cute pictures of kids on Facebook, its completely another to hear them talk. He is totally the cutest.
7. If you did a google image search for the word “spring” I bet the photos that would come up would look JUST like my hometown right now! Everything is very fresh and green and there are TONS of flowering trees. It even rained, which I always love to see. The gray sky against the bright green leaves and purple, pink and yellow flowering trees is very striking. I think there might be a painting in there somewhere.
Wow! Seven GREAT things in one week! I think that’s a record for me lately. Even though April ended up being kind of a dud, I was able to squeak out a few Great things each week. Of course its always easier to see the Great things in life when everything is going well, but its important to remember there is ALWAYS something. I will definitely use this week as a reference point the next time everything seems to be going wrong. I love having these lists to look back and reflect on.
Have a Great weekend everyone!