35 still alive. After the emotionally draining year I’ve had, that’s quite an accomplishment. As per usual, I’m sitting here on the final day of my 34th year reflecting on the wringer I’ve been through over the past 12 months. Despite feeling completely lost, disjointed, and like I’ve been stumbling from day to day for most of the year, there have have been some definite high points.
1. Two new babies joined my life this year. Baby Sydney, the smiliest, sweetest girl ever, and Summer, my long time dream puppy. The two of them, and all the other funny kids and dogs in my life, have accounted for the majority of my joy, and I’m thrilled that I get the privilege of watching them all grow for years to come.
2. I’ve learned a few valuable lessons this year.
- Never get too comfortable. Just when you think you have everything figured out, life will throw you a curve ball.
- “If you truly loved yourself, you could never hurt another” -Buddha. Through heartbreak I’m learning empathy.
- If you just keep going, your path will reveal itself eventually.
So 34 wasn’t exactly my best year. I’m pretty confident that the universe is just setting me up for something really Great. I’m doing my best not to look backwards, and only focus on today. There is no such thing as joy without struggle, and I’m grateful for all the experiences I’ve had, both difficult and otherwise.
Stay tuned for what happens in the next chapter of Betsylife!