This week has been a doozy. May was totally insane, and June hasn’t brought any relief so far. I’m powering through, fueled by coffee (of course) and hanging in there pretty well. I still amaze myself with how much I can accomplish in a short period of time if I stay focused and work my ass off. I feel like I’m finally starting to hit my stride for the year.
Part of what has helped me through my ten million point to-do list this week was that I power cooked a bunch of multi purpose meals all in one day, and have been able to enjoy them on the go all week long.
I get so excited when summer rolls around because even The Hubs can’t complain about an abundance of salad meals. I mean, who wants to turn on the oven? Fresh produce, cold salads and cheese it is! It’s pretty much my dream come true.
This week I barely had time to pick up my CSA box let alone make to to the grocery store, so I made this super awesome pasta salad with a bunch of stuff I had on hand. Grilled organic zucchini, cute mini pasta, a can of beans (my go to for fast protein), my favorite Kerrygold cheese (Dubliner!) and some mini pepperonis to appease The Hubs. The whole shebang is lightly flavored with simply lemon juice and fresh herbs. Summer awesomeness in a bowl, and majorly portable. I have eaten this in the car on several occasions this week along.
Next week looks like it might be a bit more chill, but things always change around here at the last minute so we’ll have to wait and see. You better believe that I’ll be power cooking again on Sunday just in case the craziness persists. You know, I don’t really mind. I try to remind myself when life gets hectic that it’s a helluva lot better than being bored. Whatever the next few weeks may bring, I plan to take it in stride, and continue to eat on the go if I have to.
- 1 cup arancici di pepe or other small pasta, cooked and drained
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed
- 2 whole zucchini sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 oz Kerrygold Dubliner cheese, cubed
- 1 cup miniature pepperoni
- juice from 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil
- cooking spray
- Heat the grill or a grill pan to medium high heat. Spray sliced zucchini with cooking spray and grill 3-4 minutes on each side until charred but still firm.
- Remove from heat and cool. Cut into cubes.
- In a large bowl combine remaining ingredients. Add zucchini and toss until everything is coated.
- Chill and serve cold.
- **Note: You can use pretty much any kind of pasta, bean, fresh herbs, vegetables or cheese you have on hand. This recipe is easily customizable