I’m off to the deep south today to spend some time with the in-laws. I gotta say, until I married a southerner, I did not truly understand the concept of “southern cooking”. Its all super delicious, super filling, super comforting, and I can only imagine, super bad for you. That’s fine every once in a while though. I thought as a little preview, I’d make some mac n’ cheese. This recipe is about as unhealthy as it gets around here even though it’s from Cooking Light. That’s southern California cooking for you!
Mac n’ Cheese with Chipotles recipe from Cooking Light
- 1 (1-ounce) slice white bread
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese **I used pepper cheddar
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese **I used pepper jack
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 drained canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, seeded and chopped
- 8 cups hot cooked cavatappi (about 5 cups uncooked pasta) **I used whatever random pasta I had laying around
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, drained
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place bread in a food processor, pulse until coarse crumbs form to measure 1/2 cup; set aside.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Place flour in a large saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly with a whisk. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer mixture for 2 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat; stir in 2 tablespoons Parmesan and the next 5 ingredients (2 tablespoons Parmesan through chipotle chiles), stirring until cheese melts. Combine cheese sauce, pasta, onions, and tomatoes in a bowl.
- Spoon the mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine 2 tablespoons remaining Parmesan and breadcrumbs; sprinkle over pasta mixture. Cover and bake at 375° for 10 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until mixture is bubbly.
- Note: To make ahead, assemble casserole as directed, but stop before adding breadcrumb topping. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature; sprinkle with breadcrumb topping, and bake as directed.
I’m really excited to catch up with my nieces and nephew who I haven’t seen in over a year! I’ll be sure to share some pics when I get back! Later y’all!