As a 32 year old married woman, I haven’t been shy about why I don’t have kids, or why a baby isn’t even on my radar. Ever since we got Olive, however, I can’t help but realize what some of my mommy friends have been talking about. Although its not the same, there are a lot of similarities, and to be quite honest, having a puppy makes me want to have a baby even less.
Both babies and puppies require a bit of sacrifice. You have to rearrange your schedule to match a baby/puppy’s regimented feeding and napping (or walking) schedules. Your conversations start to become centered around poop; when it occurred and what it looked like. Let’s not forget about the added cost. Sure babies need clothes and diapers and medicines, but puppies aren’t free by any means. Puppies need toys, and food, and medicines as well. Especially if they are rascals and like to eat random objects then have their stomach pumped. **this has not (yet) occurred in our house.
Despite the interruption of my easy, kid-free life, the stress of wondering if she’s ok when I’m not with her, and the added costs, I’ll take Olive over a baby any day! Here are my reasons why puppies are better than babies.
1. From the time they arrive they can be left home alone in a crate if you need to do errands, go to work, or just go out drinking
2. If a puppy doesn’t nap, your day is not completely wrecked
3. A puppy will sleep through the night after a week or two
4. You don’t have to gain 25-35lbs in preparation for getting a puppy
5. Puppies only eat twice a day and they’re not physically attached to you when they do
6. You don’t have to worry about puppies hanging out with the “wrong crowd” when they get older
7. You can teach puppies everything they need to know in a matter of months. Lessons for kids take a lifetime to learn.
8. No temper tantrums!
9. You don’t have to take a puppy to places called Kid Fest, or Gymboree, or Kidventures and expose yourself to random germs, and have to mingle with other moms. Just a tennis ball and a grassy area are sufficient.
10. Puppies are ALWAYS happy to see you when you come home. Every day of their life from the day they are born, until the day they die, they always seem to love you more than you love them.
No debate is fair unless there is a rebuttal, so I turned to my favorite mommy of all, Jen, and asked her to make a case for why babies are better. Check out her post HERE then leave me a comment letting me know who’s side you’re on, and we’ll settle the score once and for all!