The Kentucky derby is right around the corner which means it’s mint julep time! Any sporting event that has its own accompanying cocktail is alright in my book. This year I’ll be sipping on this seasonal rhubarb mint julep while the ponies get their race on.
I’ve been a little rhubarb crazy lately, but the selection in the stores has been so huge and gorgeous, I just can’t resist. Plus, rhubarb is in season for such a short amount of time, you have to make the most of it. Four Roses bourbon paired with fresh mint and fresh rhubarb is like a spring in a glass! You should definitely give this cocktail a try while rhubarb is still on the shelves.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups rhubarb, roughly chopped
- ½ cup water
- 8-10 fresh mint leaves
- 2 Tbs rhubarb syrup
- 2½ oz Four Roses bourbon
- Combine ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer until fruit is soft, about 20 minutes.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer and refrigerate.
- Muddle mint leaves and 2Tbs rhubarb syrup in the bottom of a glass. Top with ice and Four Roses bourbon. Garnish with mint.
- **If the drink tastes too strong, add additional syrup.
For more great rhubarb recipes, head over to Seasonal Potluck