As much as I tried to hit the ground running last week, I have to admit it was more of a slow start. I guess I can’t just jump right back into hyper productivity mode after a long vacation like I used to.
Every day is a new chance to accomplish some goals, so cheers to it being a full-of-possibilities Monday. I’m hoping that last week was just a warm up, and this week I can really set the pace for all those things I want to start checking off my (long) lists in the weeks to come. It’s a lot of stuff, so I’m going to require coffee….and carb loading.
The Hubs was thrilled when I actually made pasta for once and didn’t try to trick him with veggie noodles. I’m so stoked on my garden these days, and both the tomatoes and kale for this dish came straight out of my backyard. Tomatoes are in their peak season right now so we’ve been eating them at almost every meal.
- 4 slices thick cut bacon
- 1lb fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound angel hair pasta
- juice from ½ a lemon
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 6-7 ounces smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 cups kale chips
- Cook pasta according to directions. Drain and set aside
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy. Remove bacon from pan and set aside. Once cooled, crumble. Reserve 1 Tbsp bacon grease.
- Season raw shrimp with salt and pepper.
- Return skillet to medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter to the remaining bacon grease. Once melted, add shrimp. Cook 4 minutes on each side or until shrimp turns pink and is opaque. Remove shrimp and set aside.
- To the same skillet add remaining tablespoon of butter. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and cook 6 minutes or until they begin to char on both sides.
- Add the pasta, crushed red pepper, cayenne and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss well and cook for 2 minutes, just until the pasta is hot. Fold in the cheese. Continue stirring until the cheese melts.
- Separate the pasta into 4 servings. Top with shrimp, fresh basil and kale chips. Serve.