I just wanted to pop in really quick today to share this seriously amazing brussels sprout snack. I can safely say this was the greatest vegetable dish I have ever consumed. If you love brussels, you must try this recipe. Heck, if you’ve never had brussels before, you must try this recipe! It will sell you on brussels forever, I can promise you that.
Today is my parents last day in San Diego before they depart on an Amtrak adventure that will take them to Portland, then Glacier National Park, then back to our cabin in Minnesota. Yes, people still take Amtrak. My mom wants to go paragliding for her birthday (what 66 year old doesn’t ?) so I think we’ll be heading up to Torrey Pines today to check it out. I didn’t want to leave you without anything to read while wading through your Monday business, so please enjoy this most delicious recipe
Spicy Brussels Sprouts with Mint recipe from Food and Wine
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Rice Krispies or other puffed rice cereal** I used Erewhon
- 1/4 teaspoon togarashi (see Note) or cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 small red chile, minced **I used serrano since that’s what I’m growing in my garden
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 4 cups roasted or boiled brussels sprouts (about 2 pounds), halved lengthwise
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil until shimmering. Add the Rice Krispies and togarashi and cook over high heat, stirring, until browned, about 30 seconds. Season with salt. Transfer to a plate and wipe out the skillet.
- In a small bowl, combine the fish sauce, water, sugar, rice vinegar, lime juice, garlic and chile and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add the cilantro and mint.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet and heat until nearly smoking. Add the brussels sprouts; cook over high heat, stirring, until charred in spots and heated through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and toss with the vinaigrette. Just before serving, sprinkle the Rice Krispies on top and serve right away.