I sigh a lot. It’s my way of calming my brain, releasing tension, and taking a pause. The Hubs is always asking me, “what’s wrong?” when I sigh, but it’s usually nothing specific. I’ve been sighing particularly frequently lately. It’s the only way I know how to manage my stress on a second by second basis.
When I sat down to write this post, I let out a huge sigh. My brain has been on logistical overdrive lately (not my favorite place to be), and I really needed to reset, in order to think about something to say that has nothing to do with schedules, puppy poop, office work or budgets.
Sitting here in the heavy, muggy heat of this warm summer night, listening to the sounds of my neighborhood soaking up the last minutes of daylight outside my window, and staring at this beautiful, seasonal dessert I created, I find the logistical brain overload melting away.
It’s my very favorite time of year. I love the hot breezes. I love the long days. I have two sweet puppies and a wonderful husband to keep me entertained and to make me smile when the boring parts of life start to take over. Fresh strawberries are a symbol of all of the nuances that make summertime so special.
I’ve gone from stressed out sighing to contented sighing all thanks to this strawberry cornbread skillet cobbler. It was so good. Super fresh and homey, and worth every second the oven had to stay on to make it cook. Next up on my agenda; I’m-so-stuffed-after-I-polish-off-the-end-of-this-cobbler sighing.
It can be the smallest things that have the ability to change your perspective. Pay attention so you don’t miss them.
- 2 lbs strawberries, hulled and sliced
- ¾ cup granulated sugar, divided
- zest from 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons ice cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Pinch salt
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup milk
- **vanilla ice cream for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a cast iron skillet thoroughly.
- In a medium bowl stir together strawberries, ¼ cup sugar, lemon zest, mint and cornstarch.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, remaining ½ cup sugar and baking powder.
- Cut in the butter using a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the milk and egg until fully combined.
- Pour berries and juices into the prepared skillet. Using a large spoon, drop spoonfuls of cornmeal batter over the top of the strawberries.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
- Top with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!