Hellooooooo 2017! I’m back with a long overdue Great List. Yes, I know it’s not Friday but I’m doing it anyway.
I realize that I kinda slacked on my gratitude towards the end of last year. In all honesty, I was buried under a mess of work and life, and needed to let go of any unnecessary pressure I put on myself, ie. posting a blog EVERY SINGLE WEEK. In retrospect, I wonder if 4th quarter wouldn’t have seemed as insanely difficult as it was if I was posting my gratitude each week……..I guess we’ll never know.
With that being said, I’m back. I’m feeling renewed but I’m still not going to promise a Great List every single week. I’ve got a ton of balls in the air and I’m just going to do whatever I can, whenever I can, which means posting on a Thursday. That’s the best I can do right now, at this point in my life.
So let’s do this! 2017; so far, so good.
1. Holy rain. The drought in northern California is officially OVER according the the radio the other day. It hasn’t stopped raining for a significant amount of time in weeks. Our backyard is a mud pit. Luckily for me, I got 2 pairs of waterproof boots for Christmas. I haven’t owned waterproof boots since my childhood in Chicago. My friend asked me what I needed them for since it doesn’t snow here, and I responded “rain”. Boy was I right. I have never been so grateful for an article of clothing ever. Life doesn’t stop because of some weather, and without these boots, the last few weeks would have been a (more) soggy nightmare.
2. Another boot bonus, I broke all my rules about traveling in the winter to snowy areas and went to New York last week for an incredible photography workshop. There was no snow in the forecast, yet it turned into a bonafide BLIZZARD. Waterproof boots to the rescue! I’m so grateful that I was able to get over my snow aversion because this trip was exactly what I needed to start the year off inspired and motivated. Plus, there’s nothing like a couple of days in freezing weather to make this California girl appreciate her soggy 50 degree temps in the Bay Area.
3. Just when I thought the dogs would drive me crazy with their cabin fever, the rain stopped for about 10 hours the other day and I was able to take them out for 2 long walks. THANK YOU UNIVERSE! I would really hate to have to kill one of them for constantly staring at me and whining 24/7.
4. I picked up my custom orthotics yesterday. I’m officially a granny, but I am looking forward to reliving this terrible foot pain I’ve been having for years. Yay for doctors, and modern medicine!
5. I’ve been tapped as my pregnant friend Courtney’s back up birthing coach if her doctor husband is in a surgery when she goes into labor in the next couple of weeks. Squeeeeee!!! Sorry Adam, but I’ve never hoped for a dad to be absent more in my life. When my bestie Val had her babies a few years back, we talked for months about me being in the delivery room with her, but when the time came, she had to have c-sections so I got the boot. I’ve never been so disappointed. I’m so grateful for friends who trust me, and for the opportunity to be part of a baby’s life from second #1. Fingers crossed!
So yeah, not too shabby so far. It’s a Great feeling to start a year off without a heartbreaking move looming over your head. 2016, you really tested me, so thanks for that (I guess), but I will not miss you one bit! Onward and upward!