This is not your typical gratitude journal. Sure, I’ll let you know a couple of awesome things I’m grateful for these days, but really I just wanted to say hello.
It’s been a minute since I wrote a personal post on this blog.
I spent most of last year in a panic wondering if I would ever be able to reestablish a network here in the Bay Area and if I would ever work as a food stylist again. As a result I loaded up my blog ads, and took every sponsored post that came my way.
I wasn’t intentionally trying to “sell-out” but a girl’s got bills to pay you know?
I tried to keep it as unobtrusive and authentic as possible even though I was getting paid, so I hope it wasn’t too terrible for you all. Producing quality work has always been my number one priority in everything that I do whether its paid, unpaid, business or personal, and that will never change.
As life has settled into place, I’ve been starting to evaluate where I’m at right now. It certainly isn’t the same place I was in this time last year which means I don’t need to be doing the same things I was last year.
It’s important to regularly take a good, hard look at your life and try your best to map out where you want to go next. Life is fluid and ever changing, so I’m always trying to figure out how to best take advantage of the ride that I’m on.
It’s almost never black and white.
Here are some things I’m into right now:
- Fitness: I’m working out more than ever, and doing a wider variety of workouts then ever before. Pretty much my entire social life revolves around the gym (it’s hard to make new friends in your 30s!) so I tend to talk about it a lot.
- (related) Fitness fashion: my athleisure game is strong!
- Party and Tabletop styling: working with my catering client has opened up an entirely new realm of creative possibilities to me. I’ve got tons of ideas on this topic, but I’m not totally sure how to best roll them out.
- Bay Area Hidden Gems: I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to get to all the cool spots i’ve heard and read about, but I’m making one hell of an effort.
- Hippy dippy stuff (this is not new): crystals, tarot, superfoods, supplements, clay face masks, aromatherapy, the list goes on and on. You name it, I want to try it!
- Anti-aging: my wrist gave out on me for no reason, I have wrinkles and gray hair popping up all over the place. Someone stop this!!!
Here are some things that need some fine tuning this year:
- Less ads on my blog, or at least better ones. I have no shame in my passive income game, but I want the reader experience to come before anything else.
- Less one off sponsored posts, and more quality, long-term partnerships with brands I truly love.
- Sharing more because I love it, not because I feel like I have to in order to keep my page views (and subsequently ad income) strong.
I’m not entirely sure of what to do next, or how to best implement changes, but I thought it was important to just put this all out in the universe for accountability, and reflection for the future.
Everything good in my life begins with gratitude, so as promised, a few Great list items for your week.
- Maybe I said this before but I am BEYOND grateful for our watertight house. The rain has been unrelenting this year, and so far we are dry as a bone up in here! (knock on wood)
- Lately I have had the opportunity to collaborate with some truly incredible photographers. Styling food and creating beautiful imagery is my number one motivator in life, and it has just been awesome lately. The inspiration doesn’t stop there. This new city of mine has introduced me to a network of artists, writers and creators. I’m looking forward to many more partnerships in the future.
- Every morning when I’m driving to the gym at 5:30am there is this guy who stands outside the window factory down the street from my house, and waves good morning at every car that passes by. I wave back every single day. I mean, how awesome is that guy? To be spreading some joy at 5:30am every day is pretty rad. Random cheerful window factory worker guy is my hero.
So that’s what’s up with me right now. If there’s anyone out there still reading, I’d love to hear from you. Let’s connect. For real, albeit through the internet, that is, unless you live in Oakland, in that case let’s get some coffee.