This year I’m testing out a little idea I have that I’m calling 52 weekends. I’m writing down a list of ways I’d like to spend my weekends, and will select one item from the list each week. Some of the items are trips that I want to, or plan to take; visiting family, Jenny’s birthday, helping my parents at the cabin, and attending Wills & Lindsay’s wedding in Mexico. Other items are simple ones like, take a walk on the beach or try a new restaurant.
Perhaps I suffer from a tiny bit of over-scheduling fever, but the real reason I’m test driving this idea is that I find by writing things down they are more likely to get accomplished. I also find that many of my weekends are spent vegging out or working, so this is a way to ensure that at the very least I’ll take a walk on the beach even if I do nothing else for myself.
The Hubs has seemed pretty excited about this idea as well, although I was the one who wrote the list, so I’m not necessarily going to hold him to any of the specifics.
Here’s my list so far. There is A LOT of wishful travel thinking on it, but I find that’s the first step to actually going places. Plus, The Hubs and I have a companion pass on Southwest this year, which means I fly free wherever he goes, so we might as well put it to use.
1. Maui-see you in 2 weeks!
2. Mexico- Wills & Lindsay wedding
3. New Zealand-A trip I started dreaming of last year
4. New Zealand-I’m not flying to the other side of the world for only one weekend.
5. Cabin-Now an annual trip
6. Tampa-Visit Grandma
7. Tampa-Visit Grandma
8. Chicago/Dallas-Midwest tour! I like to hit both brothers/families along the way
9. Seattle-Since we’re doing Maui for Jenny’s birthday, perhaps a summer trip is in order!
10. Portland, OR-Never been! Companion pass trip
11. Portland, ME-Never been! Companion pass trip. Possibly for our anniversary this summer
12. Boston-Never been! Companion pass trip
13. Nashville-Never been! Companion pass trip
14. July 4th-Our usual debauchery
15. Memorial Day-Our usual debauchery
16. Labor Day-Our usual debauchery
18. Camping-We always talk about how “we should go camping more often”. Well this year it’s happening!
20. Alaska-another trip I’ve been dreaming about since last year, although this might have to happen in 2016 instead
New restaurant Tried Truckstop restaurant in PB last weekend. So terrible, I would NOT recommend. Guess this 52 weekends thing isn’t all fun and games after all.
22. New restaurant- I’m not discouraged. One of these new restaurants has to be good.
23. New restaurant
24. New restaurant
25. Hike-Once again, we always say “we should hike more often”. There is so much good hiking around here, we’ll be taking advantage of it this year for sure.
28. Walk on the beach-I see the ocean every day of my life, but besides the bay path and dog beach, I rarely stroll on the sand.
29. Cinepolis-Fancy movie theater with drinks!
30. Balboa Park/California Tower-They opened the California tower in Balboa park for the first time since 1935. I’m definitely climbing that thing.
31. Tahoe?-Wishful thinking! NorCal in the summer is awesome.
32. Swim in the ocean-Another thing I rarely do. It’s freezing you know, and we have a pool in our backyard. Never the less, I’ll be taking a dip sometime this year
33. See a play-I’m already thinking Motown the musical?? Any recommendations?
34. Live music-I’ll keep my ears open for some good shows coming to town
35. Dad’s 70th-Lot’s of milestone birthdays this year starting with my dad
36. Napa-Gotta see our friends the Tibbles and drink some wine!
37. Kids spring break?-I’m hoping my sister in law brings the kids to San Diego for their spring break. (I hope we get to go to the zoo!)
Butler How I spent weekend #1 of 2015
39. Olive to Coronado beach- Olive and I are in a Fiesta Island dog beach rut. I want to take her down to scenic Coronado dog beach at least once this year.
40. Bike ride-We ride bikes a lot, but mainly to go places. This is just a ride for the sake of riding.
41. Comedy show-My brother gave us a gift card for a comedy place in town for Christmas.
42. Baby Kessler-I’ll have a brand new mini-bestie this year! I definitely had to carve out a weekend just to welcome her to the world.
43. Scott’s 40th?- My oldest brother is turning FORTY! Vegas maybe?
44. Steph’s 30th?- My youngest sister in law is the last of the kids to leave her 20’s behind. Vegas maybe?
The rest will either remain blank for vegging out, or I’ll fill them in as more ideas come to me.
I think what’s important about lists like this is to use it as a guide to help you get where you couldn’t go without it, but not to be super rigid about it so that it becomes not fun. We all deserve a little leeway, and I know more than anyone that you never know what tomorrow will bring, so be prepared to go with the flow.
It’s going to be a great year!