Lemon 7Up cake is a light and fizzy treat that is great for dessert or a special breakfast. A great way to use home grown lemons.
**This post was updated in 2020**
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” –Leonardo Da Vinci
My goal for this year is to keep everything simple. Following a year of uncertainty and chaos, I’m not so eager to jump back into anything that may prove too complex. My brain needs a break.
That’s not to say that I no longer care about special details and well thought out entertaining. These things are not mutually exclusive. In fact, I think Mr. Da Vinci was right on. Often times the simplest things can be the most sophisticated.
Lemon 7Up cake
I’ve nearly exhausted every lemon recipe idea on earth trying to use up this waterfall of lemons from our backyard tree that just will not quit.
There have been lemon loaves in the past, but I thought adding 7UP would give it that tiny bit of fizzy sophistication.
You know what? I was right.
I think this bubbly, 7Up lemon loaf is the perfect addition to any brunch table or casual afternoon gathering, and I plan to host many of these this year now that my house is fully unpacked and we are ready to enjoy it with our new friends.
No plans for anything too elaborate, just simple food with a sophisticated twist, good friends and lots of laughter.
What more could a girl ask for?
If you give this recipe a try, I’d love to see it! Tag me @betsylife on Facebook or Instagram and I’ll share your creations!
More great lemon recipes
Lemon 7Up Cake
7UP Lemon pound cake is a beautiful breakfast or snack cake. The very best lemon loaf ever!
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter softened to room temperature, divided
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 can 7UP
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 thinly sliced lemons enough to cover the bottom of a loaf pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan and line with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream together ¾ cup of butter and 1½ cups sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Mix in vanilla extract and lemon zest.
- Turn mixer to a slow speed and add flour a little bit at a time. Add salt.
- Once the flour is fully incorporated, slowly pour in the 7UP. Mix until well combined.
- In a small pan melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Whisk in brown sugar until sugar melts and a smooth mixture forms. Pour into the bottom of the prepared loaf pan.
- Cover the brown sugar mixture with an even layer of lemon slices being careful to remove any seeds. When the bottom of the pan is completely covered, top with batter.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes before carefully turning out onto a cooling rack.