The holiday season is chock full of parties and gatherings, and everyone needs a great appetizer to serve. Last night I attended one of my favorite gatherings, the bi-monthly Creative Connection meetup. Since I was “featured,” I made some tasty apps for the rest of the ladies to enjoy including these asian chicken salad bites. They were a hit, and disappeared in no time. The beauty of this chicken salad is that its great served cold, and won’t get the cracker/bread soggy if it sits for a while. A great alternative to a hot appetizer!
Appetizers are my favorite things to eat at any party, not just during the holidays. They’re also my favorite thing to make since they can be quick and easy, or a bit more involved depending on how much time and energy you want to spend. Plus, apps can provide a great variety for parties where there are eaters with special dietary restrictions. I made all my apps last night both regular and gluten free, by substituting a crostini with a gluten free wrap I cut into circles and crisped up in the oven to make a “cracker”. A simple step that makes a huge difference in pleasing your guests.
Asian Chicken Salad Bites
2 breasts cooked chicken, shredded
1/2 Seedless Cucumber, shredded
3 Small Carrots, shredded
2 Shallots, minced
3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
Baguette loaf sliced thinly, or gluten free tortillas cut into circles
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat baguette slices or tortilla circles with cooking spray and toast for 5 minutes on each side, until crisp. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, cucumber, carrots, and shallots. In a small bowl whisk together peanut butter, and next 7 ingredients (through garlic) until smooth. Stir in cilantro. Add peanut butter mixture to chicken mixture and toss well to coat.
- Top baguette slices with chicken mixture and garnish with cilantro. Serve and enjoy!
- If you’re attending some holiday parties this season, be sure to check out my round-up below of my favorite party appetizers!
- Cold Appetizers
- Avocado Chimichurri Bruschetta
- Tex-Mex Deviled Eggs
- Lump crab “salsa”
- watermelon feta bites
- Hot Appetizers
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Empanadas
- Bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers
- Pea Fritters
- Healthy Turkey Potstickers
- Roasted Eggplant and Feta Dip
- Warm Corn and Cheese Dip
- Sun-Dried Tomato and Artichoke Dip
- Feta and Spinach Dip