Ever since The Hubs went on this slow carb diet all he talks about is stir fry. When he told me he was only going to eat protein and vegetables I looked at him totally crazy and he said “you know, stir fry!” He made his own stir fry the week he started the diet and hasn’t attempted it again since. I don’t think it turned out very well. Anyway, I saw this recipe in Cooking Light and decided to make him a stir fry he would want to eat. This recipe has wonderful, bold flavors. I could not have been happier with the way it turned out! We, of course, skipped the rice, but feel free to add it back in if that’s your cup of tea.
Beef-Broccoli Stir Fry recipe from Cooking Light
- 2 (3 1/2-ounce) bags boil-in-bag long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry, divided
- 2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pound boneless sirloin steak, cut diagonally across grain into thin slices
- 1/2 cup lower-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha (hot chile sauce) or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon bottled ground fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups prechopped broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
1. Cook rice according to directions.
2. While rice cooks, combine 1 tablespoon sherry, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, sugar, and beef. Stir together 1 tablespoon sherry, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, broth, cornstarch, hoisin, and Sriracha.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef mixture; sauté 3 minutes or until browned. Remove beef from pan. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan. Add ginger and garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add broccoli and 1/4 cup water; cook 1 minute. Add onions; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add broth mixture and beef mixture; cook 2 minutes or until beef is thoroughly heated and sauce is slightly thick. Serve beef mixture over rice.
Our old pal, Jack the dog, is back at our house for the next 3 weeks while his parents go on a fantastical honeymoon. Even though the next few days are going to be really busy, I’m already looking ahead to a fun, doggie filled weekend! Happy Hump day to all!