Hi friends! I missed you, but I really needed a break. Sometimes life gets a bit jumbled, and you need to step back for a second to get it all straightened out. I had a very wonderful time away celebrating my friend’s beautiful wedding in Florida, catching up with Grandma, and spending time with The Hubs and pups. I’m feeling ready to dive into this crazy holiday season head first!
Let’s get it poppin’ with these awesome curried butternut squash and potato latkes. This recipe fell into my lap at the most ideal time. First of all, my mother in law sent me a curry spices gift box from Penzeys for my birthday. I had been itching to use them since they arrived.
Secondly, its butternut squash month over at Seasonal Potluck (link up your recipes now!) Butternut squash is NOT my favorite thing to eat, so I’ve been struggling to find recipes that would be “Betsy friendly”. These latkes did not disappoint. I guess if you add curry to anything I’ll probably like it, but I’ll admit to truly loving these.
I substituted Korean Pears for apples in the salsa topping since I was fortunate enough to receive a box of them from Melissa’s Produce . If you’re not familiar with Korean pears, they’re crunchy like apples, and don’t brown when you cut them. Very refreshing, and they held up great in this salsa! I also got to use one of the bajillions of serranos have have growing in my backyard. Did I say this recipe came around at the perfect time or what?
Curried Butternut Squash and Potato Latkes recipe from Cooking Light
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped Korean Pear
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
- 1 finely chopped seeded serrano chile
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 5/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3 cups shredded peeled butternut squash (about 3/4 pound)
- 3 cups shredded peeled baking potato (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 cup grated onion
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- Combine pear and lime juice in a bowl; toss. Add onion, chile, 1 tablespoon cilantro, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; toss. Cover and chill.
- Combine squash, potato, and onion in a colander; drain 30 minutes, pressing occasionally with the back of a spoon until barely moist. Combine potato mixture, remaining 4 tablespoons cilantro, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, flour, and next 5 ingredients (through egg) in a large bowl; toss well.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Spoon 1/4 cup potato mixture loosely into a dry measuring cup. Pour mixture into pan; flatten slightly. Repeat procedure 4 times to form 5 latkes. Sauté 3 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and thoroughly cooked. Remove latkes from pan; keep warm. Repeat procedure twice with remaining oil and potato mixture to yield 14 latkes total. Serve with salsa.