Back to extremely busy life as usual around here. The Hubs is out of town, and I’m bustling around doing my usual work-blog-dogs-fitness juggling act. I’m getting pretty used to this frenetic pace we’ve been moving at for the last year or so, and I’m becoming an expert at healthy, fast meals for one.
I love having a big salad for dinner (or for any meal really) but The Hubs does not share my feelings on this subject. I try to reserve my salad-as-a-meal times for when he’s traveling. I loved this salad because I got to fire up the grill which always reminds me of summer, plus, grilling ingredients made them really pop, and I didn’t even need dressing. I haven’t forgotten bikini season is upon us!
Charred BLT Salad recipe from Cooking Light
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, cut crosswise into ribbons
- 1 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed whole-grain bread (about 2 ounces)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 romaine hearts, halved lengthwise
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil; swirl to coat. Add prosciutto; cook 4 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove prosciutto with a slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels. Add bread to pan; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently. Combine prosciutto and bread. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan. Add tomatoes; cook 5 minutes or until skins begins to split, stirring frequently. Pour tomatoes and olive oil into a small bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Coat cut sides of lettuce with cooking spray. Place lettuce, cut side down, on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Cook 2 minutes or until well marked. Place 1 lettuce half on each of 4 plates. Divide prosciutto mixture and tomato mixture among servings. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon onions and 1/2 ounce cheese.