Healthy. Fast. Easy. Exactly what I need in my life right now. This time of year is always nuts for me. I think maybe its time to count my blessings.
1. I am not shoveling snow. I’m not even looking at snow. Instead i’m enjoying warm sun on my face, and a warm breeze on my bare arms
2. I have twin nieces on the way. I can’t wait to meet them in a few months
3. I know of some other babies that are on the way that I can’t talk about yet. Congrats friends!
4. The Hubs comes home today. I miss him even if he’s only gone for one day.
5. I have four, soon to be five sweet doggies at my house right now to keep me company. Ok, maybe I went a little overboard this time, but I can’t say no! I just love them all so much.
6. The superbowl is this weekend and I have 2lbs of white american cheese in my fridge ready to be turned into white cheese dip.
7. I was just able to fly somewhere to spend time with my best friend. A luxury I often take for granted.
8. In the wake of my brother tearing his ACL, I’m fully grateful that I’m just able to get around normally, exercise, and live without pain. I remember what a lesson it was when I tore mine.
9. Coffee, and all the other things I love that I’m able to just go out and buy when I want them.
10. Wonderful people in my life, in person or online, that support me and inspire me daily
Sometimes you just have to step back, look for the truth in your life, and realize that no matter how tough things seem, there’s always something to be grateful for. I’m feeling much better now. Thanks for listening.
Chicken Escabeche recipe from Sunset Magazine
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 boned, skinned chicken breasts (about 2 lbs.)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 2 carrots, sliced diagonally 1/4 in. thick
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 or 3 pickled jalapeños, sliced
- 1 small red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. each) reduced-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro, divided
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Rub chicken with 1/2 tsp. salt and the pepper and oregano. Cook until golden on one side, 3 minutes. Flip and cook until golden on the other side, 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp. oil and the carrots to pan. Cook carrots until pale golden, about 4 minutes, stirring often. Add garlic and cook until just fragrant, 1 minute. Add broth, vinegar, jalapeños, and 1/4 cup water; bring to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a steady simmer. Fit chicken between carrots and cook, covered, 10 minutes.
- Add onion, cover, and cook until chicken is cooked through and onion and carrots are tender-crisp, about 5 minutes more. Transfer chicken and vegetables to a platter, leaving a little liquid in pan.
- Add beans, cumin, remaining salt, and half the cilantro to pan. Cook until hot and liquid is slightly reduced. Transfer to platter and sprinkle with remaining cilantro.