It doesn’t get much healthier than this chicken and vegetable noodle stir fry, but the real reason I made this dish was to use up some condiments that were taking up my fridge space. Of course it doesn’t hurt that it’s frickin delicious as well.
I live for the clean out. Whether it’s my fridge, my closet, the garage, or my office, I’m always ready to get rid of old stuff. When it comes to food, I hate to be wasteful, which is why so much of my cooking stems from creating with what I already have on hand.
There’s something so satisfying to me about clearing a space. It’s like i’m inviting a new opportunity into my life.
“Here you go new sweater, I made a nice space for you in my closet.”
“Hello fresh farmers market vegetables, this empty fridge drawer was created just for you.”
I can never start something new unless I make a space for it in my life.
When my life is cluttered, my head and heart are cluttered as well. Once Val said to me, “Betsy, you don’t care about anything!” meaning that I have very little emotional attachment to material items. I believe the conversation started when I was saying that if Olive destroyed the furniture while we were out it wasn’t such a big deal because it’s just furniture. That’s pretty much how I feel about most things. Placing emotional attachments on material things only clutters my brain. It’s way too many things for me to care for. I like to save my best emotions, intentions and actions for people, animals and life experiences. Everything else just gets too messy.
If you’re feeling overwhelmed or internally cluttered, try a little clean out. Even if it is just your fridge condiments. I think you’ll find that making space in your physical life creates space in your emotional life as well.
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ lb chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 2 zucchini, spiraled into noodles
- 2 carrots, spiraled into noodles
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek chili paste
- 2 teaspoons garlic black bean paste
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and add to the pan. Brown chicken on both sides.
- Add ginger, sambal oelek, and black bean paste to the pan and stir until chicken is coated.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, add zucchini and carrot noodles. Toss until well combined and noodles are heated through.