This year I was inspired by a new book from Melissa’s, The Great Pepper Cookbook, and decided to add a little spice to my beverage. Spicy serrano chilies and ginger gave these margaritas some serious zing. The spicy syrup was majorly delicious paired with Zignum Mezcal, but I also splashed some in soda water the next day to add a little interest to my otherwise boring daytime beverage. I’ll save the daytime margarita drinking for the weekend. Ole!
Chili Ginger Margarita
The very best spicy margarita recipe
For the simple syrup
- 1 serrano chili thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/3 cup water
For the drink
- 2 oz tequila I used Zignum Mezcal
- 1 1/2 oz chili ginger simple syrup
- 1/2 oz triple sec
- freshly squeezed lime juice
- In a small saucepan, combine simple syrup ingredients, simmer for 20 minutes until sugar dissolves and mixture is reduced by half. Strain and refrigerate.
- For the drink, combine all ingredients in a shaker filled with ice. Shake until well combined, then pour into glasses filled with ice. Garnish with fresh lime and thinly sliced peppers.