Continuing my Freaky Fruit Fest are these cute little ghost popsicles made from the spookiest of all citrus; buddha hand. Buddha hand is probably the coolest looking fruit in history. Its long, spindly green and yellow “fingers” definitely count as freaky in my book. In terms of taste, it’s like a giant lemon with no pulp.
These popsicles are a great (and easy!) halloween project for the whole family. The buddha hand I got from Melissa’s made it extra spooky, but you could easily substitute lemon or lime zest. All it takes is a can of coconut milk, some dixie cups, and a few strategically placed chocolate chips.
The Hubs absolutely loved these (except for the fact that I made the sticks too short). He didn’t even realize that they were a healthy dessert! We gobbled up the whole batch over the course of a weekend.
Does your family make halloween treats? Leave a comment and let me know what scary concoctions are coming out of your kitchen this halloween season.
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 buddha hand
- ¾ c. sugar
- handful of chocolate chips
- Pour coconut milk and sugar into a small saucepan.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel as much of the rind of the buddha hand off as possible. Add rind to coconut milk mixture.
- Heat mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and allow buddha hand rind to steep for at least 30 minutes.
- Strain mixture and discard rind.
- Pour a small amount of the mixture into a dixie cup. Freeze for 30-40 minutes.
- Place 2 chocolate chips along the edge of the cup for the "eyes" (make a note of which side the eyes are on so you can properly place the "mouth")
- Pour enough of the mixture to just cover the chocolate chips and freeze again for 30-40 minutes.
- Place one chocolate chip along the edge of the cup above where the "eyes" were placed. Fill the cups with the remaining mixture.
- Top each cup with foil to help the sticks stay up straight. Push a popsicle stick through the foil and into the center of each cup. Freeze at least 4 hours or overnight.
- To enjoy, remove foil and peel away the dixie cup.