Any Great List that kicks off a holiday weekend is alright in my book. I’ve got high hopes that I’m going to be able to see our friends, The Tibbles, who are supposed to be in town this weekend although there is a rumor that baby Max is sick and may not show. Other than that, my plans are catching rays and making a roasted cauliflower dip…..oh yeah, and probably drinking champagne as well.
Whatever your plans are this Memorial Day weekend, please have fun, be safe, enjoy your loved ones, and take a moment to remember what the day is really about. Thousands of men and women have given their lives for us to enjoy the freedoms we often take for granted. Be grateful for them today.
1. For us, Memorial Day is a reminder of another loss. It was on Memorial Day last year that we lost our beloved old dog, Grace. She had been The Hubs loyal friend since college, and losing her was truly the worst day of our entire lives. However, out of darkness always comes light, and today I’m so thankful for our new love, Olive. This little rascal has brought such joy to not only The Hubs and I, but Tally as well. She helped us all heal, and has been a constant source of laughter and amusement in the last 9 months.
2. I’m pretty sure the classic “May Gray” and “June Gloom” aren’t going to happen this year. For those who don’t know, traditionally May and June are the cloudiest months in San Diego. The ocean temperature is rising, and when mixed with the air temperature, it creates clouds that linger throughout the early summer months. However, this year May has been very warm and sunny thus far, which leads me to believe that the ocean is already warm enough to NOT make clouds, and we should be sailing with sunny skies through the rest of the summer. YES! I live for summer, and the sooner I can get it, the better!
3. My amazing and inspirational friend, Jenny, gave birth to her second daughter, Gracey, on Monday, and I’m going to meet the baby today! How apropos that one Grace leaves my life this week one year, and another one joins my life the next. Not that I’m comparing this baby to a dog, I’m just saying that the name Grace, in my mind, is reserved for exceptional beings. I’m sure this baby will be just that. Now that Carson is getting a little bigger, I’m excited to have a new teeny baby to snuggle.
4. Being back in the kitchen and behind the camera this week has been so Great! With all the traveling I’ve been doing, and my camera being broken, I’ve felt a little disconnected from this blog lately. For me, when I’m detached from my creativity for too long, the rest of my life starts to get a bit jumbled as well. I’m old enough now to realize that creativity is the touchstone for everything I do, without it, I’m just not myself. With that being said, I’m back! I’ve got a loooooong list of blog ideas that I’ve begun to execute, the light has been amazing for photography, and I’m feeling that excited buzz that comes with doing what you love.
5. The jacarandas are blooming in San Diego! If you don’t know what a jacaranda tree looks like, DEFINITELY do a google image search. I absolutely love this time of year when the entire city is a sea of purple trees. Its truly breathtaking, and makes me love San Diego even more than I already do.
So yeah, its been a pretty GREAT week if I do say so myself. I hope you all have had more ups than downs this week as well. If it seems like the opposite, take a closer look, there’s always something to be grateful for! Have a fun holiday weekend everyone!