Time is flying. When did the weekend get here? At least the weeks are flying by as quickly as the weekends, so it hasn’t required a lot of patience to get through them. Tomorrow is the summer solstice. For some, that means the official start of summer, but for me its the start of the downhill slope into winter. I know, that’s not a very positive way to think, but the days start to get shorter from here on out ultimately resulting in the dreaded end of daylight savings time. The upside is that I feel a sense of “make-it-count” purpose to make the rest of the long summer days as Great as humanly possible. Starting with a solstice BBQ this weekend!
1. The older we get, the faster time moves. One thing that reminded me of my age this week was that the oldest kid in our neighborhood gang turned 40. That means the rest of us aren’t far behind. Fortunately for me and my younger brother, we’re last. My oldest brother, Scott is in the on deck circle. Aging has been a blessing for me. Of course I’d love to be able to eat junk and not exercise and still look great like I did in my 20’s, but overall the old saying of “Older and Wiser” is definitely true. Big John’s birthday was a reminder to be grateful for all the lessons I’ve acquired over the years, and the wisdom to not make the same mistakes twice.
2. I got to work on a fun photo shoot this week for a crafting book. The photographer I worked with was a super fun and creative woman, and it was a nice change of pace. Not to mention the house we shot at was a prop stylists dream come true. Options for days!
3. The Hubs is back from a weeklong trip to the east coast. He slipped in at about 2am this morning, but he’s home never the less. I’m looking forward to catching up with him this evening possibly over some sushi takeout and a couple episodes of Louie. Now THAT’S a Great Friday night in my opinion.
4. I am so Grateful to not be nearly as sore as I was the last few weeks after continuing to keep up with my workout routine. Not only can I move freely, and carry my purse without assistance (yay!) not being so sore is an indicator that it’s working! I’m actually getting stronger, and my hard work is paying off. One crappy part of aging is how quickly you get weak again if you ever fall off the workout wagon for a bit, but hopefully I’ll be able to keep this up and won’t have to deal with that any time soon.
5. Great mail this week. I got a pool-themed gift from a friend (picture to come soon), a shipment of every flavor of Pretzel Crisps that exists, and a huge box of wine! It’s Great to be a blogger sometimes. We’ll be snacking and drinking all weekend long while enjoying the longest day of the year.
I hope you all take a second to think about what’s Great in your life this week, then head into the weekend with a sense of purpose to keep that Greatness going. Enjoy!