It’s been several weeks since I’ve written a Great List post, but it feels like an eternity. The difference in my mood, attitude, motivation and patience between the weeks where I take the time for gratitude and the weeks I don’t is really staggering. Writing this Great List each week has become an integral part of my life. I’ve been pretty grouchy lately, and even just writing that last sentence has made me begin to soften and let go just a bit. Here’s what I’m grateful for recently.
1. My sister in law texted me this picture of two of my nieces this week. Are they not the cutest little cousins ever? It still amazes me that we have little blonde children in our dark haired family. My nieces and nephews never fail to make me smile. I’m always grateful for every photo, note, coloring book scribble, funny FaceTime conversation, and teeny voiced phone call. Keep em coming!
2. Speaking of kid encounters, I went to holiday wonderland something-or-other at Petco Park with Leila, Carson and their cousin Jaxon this week. There was a “sledding hill” and it was really awesome to see Leila sled and play in the snow (ice). She was super excited. I’m a holiday grinch, but it was nice to give in to some holiday cheer, and see the season through the eyes of some kids. Everyone had a blast, and I got to walk on the baseball field and have a few beers on a weeknight. Not too shabby, even for a kiddie holiday event.
3. I knocked out a TON of mundane tasks over the last 2 weeks. The decorating is done. The shopping is done. The wrapping is done. The shipping is done. The lights are hung. The laundry is done. The house is clean. The cookies are baked and distributed. All the dog poop is picked up. My new site is up and working. I’ve tackled my inbox. Although I’m going through a bit of a creative drought right now, I’m grateful to have been able to clear a space in my mind for whatever ideas strike next.
4. I’m so in love with my new website which would not be possible without my designer and friend Aimee. Can I just say that I am incredibly grateful for her guidance and patience these past few years? I’d also like to express some gratitude for my lovely friend Becky who took my new head shots. These two girls are so caring, helpful and selfless, and I just adore and admire them both so much. Thank you both for being such awesome people.
5. My brother’s dogs, Payton and Fitz, are visiting for a week, and the house has remained peaceful, and mess free for the most part. (You can’t stop the shedding). Isn’t it weird how dogs sometimes seem to know you’re stressed out, and are suddenly on their best behavior? It’s like they’re trying to do their part to help out. Well dog cousins, I’m very grateful this visit has gone so swimmingly. Keep up the good work.
There, now isn’t that better? Thinking of what’s Great really helps to erase the road rage, holiday crowd impatience, and overall stress of the season. I may have to up my gratitude to twice a week in order to make it to 2015, but I know from experience that the more you express gratitude, the more things you find to be thankful for, so I’m sure it won’t be a problem.