I performed my wifely duties and successfully ate all of our 6th anniversary candy gifts within a week in order to minimize our temptation time.
You know me, always happy to help.
This is kind of my MO when it comes to all food special occasions. You know, those times when you allow yourself to pig out free of guilt whether it be an actual holiday or just a weekend where you host a BBQ. I go for the eat-until-its-gone method, and figure I’ll work it off throughout the next week. I don’t like to have food temptations hanging around.
So the candy is gone and we’re on to the “work it off” part of the equation. This starts with making some healthier food decisions, so here I am starting off the week with a healthy, meatless option that incorporates some fresh and seasonal okra (high in fiber!)
Everything in moderation right? Or, binge eat on junk then counteract it for an extended junk free period. Same difference.
Lentil Curry with Okra
A spicy and satisfying green lentil curry recipe
- 1 cup green lentils
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 hatch chile peppers seeded and diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp Gourmet Garden ginger
- 1 15- oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 2 cups fresh okra chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion, chiles and garlic and cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add in cumin, turmeric and curry powder.
- Stir in the tomato paste, ginger, diced tomatoes and chicken stock. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Add lentils. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until lentils are al dente.
- Stir in coconut milk, okra and salt & pepper. Continue simmering for 10 more minutes or until okra is done.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.