This was a tough one for me. I really wanted to think outside the box, and make something a little bit different. As much as I loooooove all things mint, I just wasn’t feeling it this month. Maybe I overdosed on Thin Mints last month. Who knows?
One of the parameters of these festive desserts was that they had to be green, which made me think of my favorite basil lime cookies. The cookies themselves aren’t green, but the ingredients used to make them are, so I figured I could work something out in that direction.
The end result are these incredibly refreshing basil lime ice cream sandwiches! Creamy lime and basil ice cream smooshed between two of my favorite cookies. This is the perfect dessert for a hot summer day. If you’re like me and don’t love super sweet desserts, you will love these!
- Leprechaun Coolers by Around My Family Table
- Minty Oreo Leprechaun Bark by Million Moments
- Grasshopper Pie Pizookie by A Night Owl Blog
- Pistachio Gelato by Bless this Mess Please
- Coconut Lime Bars by Eat Your Heart Out
- Mint Chocolate Pudding Parfait by See Vanessa Craft
- Lime Basil Ice Cream Sandwiches by BetsyLife
- Mint Tea Marshmallows by Home Cooking Memories
- Baileys Irish Cream Chocolate Truffles by A Little Clairification
- Saint Patrick’s Day Dipped Strawberries by The Rebel Chick
- Irish Cream Mint Shake by Plugged In Family
- Irish Flag Trifle by Mom Endeavors
Lime Basil Ice Cream Sandwiches
Herbaceous basil dessert recipe
For the Ice Cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cup packed basil leaves
- zest of one lime
- 1 pinch of salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
To make the ice cream
- Put the ice cream container from your ice cream maker in the freezer.
- Bring the milk, cream, zest, basil and salt to a boil in a large saucepan stirring occasionally to avoid scorching.
- Remove from heat and let it steep for 15-20 minutes until no longer hot, but still warm.
- Meanwhile, In a large bowl,whisk together the egg yolks and the sugar until they are light and fluffy. Set it aside.
- Blend the basil and milk mixture in a blender or using a immersion blender, until smooth.
- Stirring constantly, temper the egg mixture by adding a bit of the warm milk mixture gradually. Once combined, add remaining milk to egg mixture stirring until combined.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer back into the sauce pan and stir it constantly while heating over low heat until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Place mixture in the refrigerator until cooled completely.
- Pour the liquid into the frozen ice cream container and run it through the ice cream maker for 20-30 minutes.
- Place mixture into a freezer proof container and freeze for 4 hours or until firm.
Make the sandwiches
- Sandwich a scoop of basil ice cream between 2 basil lime cookies.