Rhubarb is quintessentially spring in my book, and when rhubarb is in season, you have to take advantage of it! My friends at Melissa’s produce included some beautiful rhubarb in my organics delivery box recently, so I set out to make something fresh and simple.
Although there’s plenty of savory ways to cook with rhubarb, I opted for a sweet and tart pineapple rhubarb crisp. It’s super fast to make, and contains pineapple, which is my favorite food of all time. I would eat anything with pineapple in it. I love it so much I eat whole pineapples in one sitting. In fact, I wish I could eat pineapple at every meal….mmmmmm……pineapple….drool. Whoa, sorry. Back to the rhubarb.
If you see a few stalks of this red beauty at your grocery store, or farmers market, pick some up and try this easy pineapple rhubarb crisp! Truly, it doesn’t get much simpler than this.
- 3 c rhubarb, cut into chunks
- 2 c pineapple, cut into chunks
- 3 T cornstarch
- 2½ T sugar
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ c brown sugar
- 5 T flour
- ¼ c rolled oats
- 3 T melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a large bowl combine rhubarb, pineapple, cornstarch, sugar and ginger. Mix until rhubarb and pineapple is well coated
- Pour mixture into a square baking dish coated in cooking spray
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar, flour, oats and melted butter until well combined and crumbly
- Spread brown sugar mixture over the top of the rhubarb mixture
- Bake for 25-35 minutes until golden brown
If you have an awesome rhubarb recipe you want to share, head over to Seasonal Potluck and link up! Or, if you have a bunch of rhubarb and need ideas on how to use it, check out the collection of recipes that other bloggers have shared to find some inspiration.