Another too-short weekend has come and gone. Ours was mildly eventful. I went to a baby shower on Saturday. On Sunday I took Olive for a 5 mile walk, during which, a dog saw us from 300 yards across a fenced in soccer field and came running full speed, scaled the fence, and caught up with us 2 blocks down just to say hello. I guess Olive is just that irresistible. Needless to say, that dog’s owner was pissed. Other than that, it was just binge eating and drinking as usual.
Once again, here we are on Monday and I find myself climbing my bloated, poorly nourished body back on to the proverbial wagon. Is it wrong to eat super clean and healthy 5 days in a row, then jam any and all edible objects and alcoholic drinks down your throat in a two day window every single week? I’ve heard about zig zag eating where you stagger your calorie intake in order to avoid burning muscle mass. I’m not intentionally doing that, but its kind of the same thing right? Someone just tell me this is ok…ok?
Well, whatever. We can’t all be good all the time. So it’s Monday and its back to quinoa for me. Its back to morning runs, and long afternoon walks with Olive. It’s back to water drinking, and Insanity workouts. Today is a new day. Maybe NEXT weekend I’ll learn a bit more self control.
Quinoa Salad with Asparagus, Orange and Dates
Quinoa Salad with Asparagus, Orange and Dates Recipe
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup fresh orange sections about 1 large orange
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 5 dates pitted and chopped
- 1/2 pound 2-inch slices asparagus, steamed and chilled
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Mint sprigs
- To prepare salad, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add white onion to pan; sauté 2 minutes. Add quinoa to pan; sauté 5 minutes. Add 2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Transfer quinoa mixture to a large bowl. Add orange and next 4 ingredients (through jalapeño); toss gently to combine.
- To prepare dressing, combine juice and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Pour dressing over salad; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with chopped mint. Garnish with mint sprigs. Serve at room temperature.