I’ve been on a bit of a detox since we got back from vacation. At least I’m trying. Let’s not talk about the copious amounts of alcohol, chips and dips that were consumed last weekend okay? We’ll just call last week a warm up to detox. Just with anything, if you fall, get back up, so I’m back on the healthy eating wagon again this week.
Yesterday’s salad was an amazing kickoff, and today’s veggie sammie is no exception. Truth be told, I eat vegetarian most of the time. It’s not because I have any specific beliefs about saving animals or anything, I just really like vegetables (and beans. and eggs.) Vegetarian meals can be super flavorful and satisfying, and this sandwich is the perfect example. I left my almond/roasted pepper puree a little chunky to add some crunch to the sandwich.
Spanish Roasted Vegetable Sandwich recipe from Vegetarian Times
- 2 yellow squash or zucchini, sliced lengthwise (1 lb.)
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced lengthwise (1 lb.)
- 1 medium red onion, sliced (1 cup)
- 4 large button mushrooms, sliced (6 oz.)
- 2 roasted red peppers, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbs. whole natural blanched almonds
- 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, chopped (1 tsp.)
- 1 5.3-oz. log goat cheese, softened
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
- 4 multigrain rolls, split horizontally
- 4 green leaf lettuce leaves
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Spread squash, eggplant, onion, and mushrooms in single layer on 2 baking sheets, and spray with cooking spray. Roast 15 to 18 minutes, or until tender.
2. Place roasted red peppers, almonds, vinegar, and garlic in bowl of food processor. Purée until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Mash goat cheese and basil in bowl.
4. Spread bottom halves of rolls with goat cheese mixture. Top each with lettuce leaf. Divide vegetables over lettuce. Spread roasted red pepper mixture on top halves of rolls, and press together to adhere.
I’m going to try to keep my healthy eating streak alive while making my BAKE SALE goods this week, but I am going to be forced to sample just a little. After all, how I can try to sell something to someone if I can’t verify its delicious? Be sure to come out an see me Saturday from 10-2 at Great News!