Yup. Still hot. I haven’t cooked in my kitchen in two weeks! I’m trying to keep my warm weather choices as interesting as possible, not only for my poor Hubs (salad overload!) but also for my own creative sanity. In my search for new no-cook, grill friendly, or just plain cold foods, I’ve discovered a world of awesomely interesting salads, like this one, that even The Hubs has enjoyed. This particular salad is super spicy, but is offset by the smoky sweetness of the grilled sweet potatoes. Who knew?!
My parents arrive tomorrow, just in time for the heat wave to subside (I hope). We should be back to regular ‘ol oven prepared meals in no time. Its probably a good thing as I can’t imagine my straight-out-of-stereotypical-midwest Dad eating a salad like this. This is a man who wouldn’t even eat a cake with cream cheese frosting because he thought it seemed “to weird.” Don’t worry Dad, I’ve stocked up on red meat for you!
Grilled Sweet Potato and Napa Cabbage Salad recipe from Cooking Light
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (2 pounds)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Dash of hot sauce (optional)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced**I used serranos since my pepper plant is overflowing
- 3 cups shredded Napa cabbage
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Prepare grill for indirect grilling, heating one side to medium-high and leaving one side with no heat.
- Peel potatoes, and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Combine potatoes, 1 tablespoon oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper; toss.
- Place potatoes on grill rack over unheated side; close lid. Cook 12 minutes on each side or until tender. Move potatoes to heated side; grill 2 minutes on each side or until charred.
- Combine 1/4 cup oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, juice, and next 4 ingredients (through jalapeño) in a large bowl. Slice potato slices into strips. Add potatoes, cabbage, and remaining ingredients to bowl; toss.