Ok, I forgot the pecans. So sue me. This pizza was a great alternative to my usual, boring lunch (salad), and The Hubs at some as a side dish with his dinner as well. I think it would also make a great appetizer! I’m still plowing through my pantry items. I think I’m about ready to go grocery shopping for real again (not just for produce). I did have a few late additions, courtesy of the gift basket from my boss, but all the original stuff is almost gone.
I’m still looking at frozen okra, frozen hash browns, SOME of the frozen berries, frozen peas, frozen lima beans, frozen corn, frozen pumpkin puree (already know what I’m doing with this) corn flour (I think I know what I’m going to do with this), one box of cake mix, some of my graham crackers, a can of pumpkin, a couple of chipotle peppers, black eyed peas, golden raisins, ground flaxseed, wheat germ, one bag of lentils, kidney beans, refried beans, black beans, sushi rice, nori, taco seasoning, brown rice, a variety of pastas *new, pickled onions *new, capers in salt *new, lemon extract, raspberry extract a variety of sprinkles, and one box of orange gelatin.
Ok, I know that seems like a lot, but I’ve listed everything I’ve made so far at the bottom of this post, and that also seems like a lot. I’ll be honest, some of the stuff we just ate and I didn’t blog about (like the frozen sea bass), but trust me, it was boring. This project has been a real eye opener. I can’t believe how much money we have saved in the last few weeks just because I’m using what I already have.
Apple, Goat Cheese and Pecan Pizza recipe from Cooking Light
- 1 (1-pound) six-grain pizza crust **I used my can of refrigerated pizza dough from my pantry project
- Cooking spray
- 3 cups thinly sliced Fuji apple (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled goat cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted **whoops, forgot these
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°.
- 2. Place pizza crust on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Arrange apple slices evenly over pizza crust; top with cheese. Sprinkle thyme evenly over cheese. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown.
- 3. Combine oil and next 3 ingredients (through honey) in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add arugula; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle pecans evenly over pizza; top with arugula mixture. Cut pizza into 6 wedges.
Stuff I’ve made using items from my pantry…..so far:
Plus a few things I haven’t posted yet! Stay tuned